‘US unjustified in criticism limited military expansion`
Beijing: China on Saturday expressed its "firm opposition" to a Pentagon report that presented a suspicious account of China`s military modernisation, charging that the US was misrepresenting its "limited" defence capabilities.
Lashing out at the Pentagon report on the rapid expansion of Chinese military and its aggressive cyber espionage, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei, "China`s justified" and "normal military development" had been unjustly criticised in the US side`s irresponsible remarks.
Hong said the US was misrepresenting its "limited" defence force aimed at safeguarding its independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity and expressed China`s "firm opposition" to it.
"The development of China`s limited military force is completely concerned with safeguarding China`s independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity, and targets no other country or specific target," the official media here quoted him as saying.
"So long as a country is not hostile to China, it will show no doubt or worry over such development," he said.
China demands that the United States "respect facts, change its mind-set and stop its wrongdoing in issuing similar reports year after year," and the US side "should do more to promote China-US military relations and mutual trust and cooperation, not vice versa," he said.
The US Defence Department issued the annual report "Military and Security Developments Involving the People`s Republic of China" yesterday, stating that Chinese military has embarked on ambitious expansion programme aimed at transforming the People`s Liberation Army into a modern force.
It says its main goals include preserving the rule of the Communist Party of China and getting ready for hostilities against Taiwan which China claims as its part.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown