US welcomes Myanmar decision on political prisoner
Washington: The United States has welcomed the Myanmar government`s announcement for the formation of a committee on political prisoners, terming it as an important step in the national reconciliation process.
"Myanmar government`s announcement that it has authorised the formation of a Committee on Political Prisoners comprised of government officials, civil society actors, and political parties to review and release all remaining political prisoners," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said.
On Thursday, state media said Myanmar President Thein Sein`s government had formed a committee to review political prisoner cases "to grant them liberty."
Nuland said Myanmar has made good progress on this issue, releasing more than 700 political prisoners over the past 18 months.
"We look forward to supporting the implementation of this process," she added.
"By establishing an inclusive, transparent review mechanism to ensure the release of all remaining political prisoners, the government has taken an important step towards national reconciliation; we look forward to supporting the implementation of this process," Nuland said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?