US welcomes Myanmar decision on political prisoner
Washington: The United States has welcomed the Myanmar government`s announcement for the formation of a committee on political prisoners, terming it as an important step in the national reconciliation process.
"Myanmar government`s announcement that it has authorised the formation of a Committee on Political Prisoners comprised of government officials, civil society actors, and political parties to review and release all remaining political prisoners," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said.
On Thursday, state media said Myanmar President Thein Sein`s government had formed a committee to review political prisoner cases "to grant them liberty."
Nuland said Myanmar has made good progress on this issue, releasing more than 700 political prisoners over the past 18 months.
"We look forward to supporting the implementation of this process," she added.
"By establishing an inclusive, transparent review mechanism to ensure the release of all remaining political prisoners, the government has taken an important step towards national reconciliation; we look forward to supporting the implementation of this process," Nuland said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users