US welcomes Myanmar decision on political prisoner
Washington: The United States has welcomed the Myanmar government`s announcement for the formation of a committee on political prisoners, terming it as an important step in the national reconciliation process.
"Myanmar government`s announcement that it has authorised the formation of a Committee on Political Prisoners comprised of government officials, civil society actors, and political parties to review and release all remaining political prisoners," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said.
On Thursday, state media said Myanmar President Thein Sein`s government had formed a committee to review political prisoner cases "to grant them liberty."
Nuland said Myanmar has made good progress on this issue, releasing more than 700 political prisoners over the past 18 months.
"We look forward to supporting the implementation of this process," she added.
"By establishing an inclusive, transparent review mechanism to ensure the release of all remaining political prisoners, the government has taken an important step towards national reconciliation; we look forward to supporting the implementation of this process," Nuland said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket