Vatican denies Pope’s butler acted as double agent
Vatican City: Vatican authorities have denied claims that Pope Benedict XVI`s butler, who is being interrogated on suspicion of stealing confidential documents, had been acting as a ‘double agent’ to help officials uncover others involved in the so called ‘Vatileaks’ scandal.
Paolo Gabriele was held in custody for two on suspicion of stealing and leaking papers, which lifted the lid on bitter feuds and power games at the highest levels of the Roman Catholic Church.
It was recently suggested by Corriere della Sera, one of Italy’s leading newspapers, that Vatican magistrates knew five months ago that he was behind the leaks, but came to a ‘secret pact’ under which he would lead them to other moles.
The newspaper said there was no other way to explain why the butler took the ‘suicidal’ decision to keep some of the stolen documents in the Vatican apartment that he shares with his wife and children.
The hypothesis was, however, denied by Federico Lombardi, the Vatican spokesman, The Telegraph reports.
“It was absolutely without foundation or plausibility,” the paper quoted Lombardi, as saying.
He further said that the substance of Gabriele’s questioning would not be made public because it was an ongoing criminal investigation.
Gabriele was questioned by Vatican prosecutors in the presence of his two lawyers as well as a Vatican judicial official known as the ‘promoter of justice’, as part of the process that could lead to him being charged with ‘aggravated theft’ and put on trial.
If convicted, he could be sent to prison for up to six years, a sentence that would have to be served in an Italian jail, because the Vatican does not have one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door