Veteran of Obama cabinet favours normalising US-Cuba ties
Spain: Former US interior secretary Ken Salazar has said he favours "normalising" relations between his country and Cuba, and expressed optimism at the chances of seeing that happen in the next few years.
Salazar, who represented Colorado in the US Senate before joining President Barack Obama`s cabinet, took part in the Tribuna EFE-Casa de America forum in Madrid.
While the main focus was on the growing strength of the Hispanic community in the US, Salazar noted that a current of public opinion in his country favours a change in relations with Cuba, and said, "I`m one of them."
He also said that Cubans living in the US agree on beginning "a new stage" in relations with Cuba.
Salazar was among the prominent figures who signed an open letter asking Obama to use his executive authority to enact measures that would "deepen the changes already under way" in Cuba.
The message, backed by the Cuba Study Group and the Council of the Americas, acknowledges the progress the US government has made in supporting the Cuban people by opening trips to Cuban-American families and expanding remittances, but urged that another step be taken at a time when public opinion is favourable to a new approach.
But publication of the letter was roundly criticised by the Cuban exiles in South Florida.
"The exiled community is very pained by what has happened" but knows that times have changed, Salazar told Efe.
"We have reached a new stage and relations have to be normalised," he said.
He appeared optimistic about the "benefits of this change for Cuba and the United States".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam