Veteran of Obama cabinet favours normalising US-Cuba ties
Spain: Former US interior secretary Ken Salazar has said he favours "normalising" relations between his country and Cuba, and expressed optimism at the chances of seeing that happen in the next few years.
Salazar, who represented Colorado in the US Senate before joining President Barack Obama`s cabinet, took part in the Tribuna EFE-Casa de America forum in Madrid.
While the main focus was on the growing strength of the Hispanic community in the US, Salazar noted that a current of public opinion in his country favours a change in relations with Cuba, and said, "I`m one of them."
He also said that Cubans living in the US agree on beginning "a new stage" in relations with Cuba.
Salazar was among the prominent figures who signed an open letter asking Obama to use his executive authority to enact measures that would "deepen the changes already under way" in Cuba.
The message, backed by the Cuba Study Group and the Council of the Americas, acknowledges the progress the US government has made in supporting the Cuban people by opening trips to Cuban-American families and expanding remittances, but urged that another step be taken at a time when public opinion is favourable to a new approach.
But publication of the letter was roundly criticised by the Cuban exiles in South Florida.
"The exiled community is very pained by what has happened" but knows that times have changed, Salazar told Efe.
"We have reached a new stage and relations have to be normalised," he said.
He appeared optimistic about the "benefits of this change for Cuba and the United States".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends