Violence in ‘Carnival of Flowers’ in Haiti, 183 hurt
Port-Au-Prince (Haiti): A summer Carnival-like celebration in Haiti has turned violent. Haitian police spokesman Gary Desrosiers says 183 people were injured in street fights on the first day of the "Carnival of Flowers."
One man also died when he fell off a float.
Haitian President Michel Martelly revived the "Carnival of Flowers" last year so the capital of Port-au-Prince could have its own Carnival-like party. His administration has moved February`s Carnival fete to cities outside the capital in the hopes of developing the countryside.
The "Carnival of Flowers" began Sunday and drew tens of thousands of revelers to downtown Port-au-Prince. Many people painted their faces bright colors and wore flowing costumes as they marched through the streets.
The final day of the festival is today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!