Violence in ‘Carnival of Flowers’ in Haiti, 183 hurt
Port-Au-Prince (Haiti): A summer Carnival-like celebration in Haiti has turned violent. Haitian police spokesman Gary Desrosiers says 183 people were injured in street fights on the first day of the "Carnival of Flowers."
One man also died when he fell off a float.
Haitian President Michel Martelly revived the "Carnival of Flowers" last year so the capital of Port-au-Prince could have its own Carnival-like party. His administration has moved February`s Carnival fete to cities outside the capital in the hopes of developing the countryside.
The "Carnival of Flowers" began Sunday and drew tens of thousands of revelers to downtown Port-au-Prince. Many people painted their faces bright colors and wore flowing costumes as they marched through the streets.
The final day of the festival is today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Now, Lexit: London wants to stay with EU, says petition
- UP cops fight publicly over 'share of bribe', video goes viral - Watch
- Make your smoothie a successful summer diet with these magical ingredients!
- Delhi govt introduces 'Change-makers in education' fellowship
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic