VVIP chopper deal: Former Finmeccanica chief Giuseppe Orsi released from jail
Rome: Former Finmeccanica CEO Giuseppe Orsi, who faces an `instant trial` in June over allegations of corruption in the Rs 3,600 crore VVIP chopper deal with India, was today released from jail.
Orsi was released after about 80 days in pre-trial detention, Italian media reports said.
A judge in the northern Italian town of Busto Arsizio had yesterday granted a prosecutor`s request for the instant trial, which eliminates preliminary hearings.
The trial against Orsi and CEO of its helicopter unit Agusta Westland Bruno Spagnoli would begin from June 19.
Orsi and Spagnolini are suspected of corruption in relation to bribes allegedly paid to secure a contract to sell 12 Agusta Westland helicopters to India.
Orsi, who resigned from the Italian state-controlled defence giant Finmeccanica a few days after his arrest, denies any wrongdoing.
He was released today because the terms that allowed prosecutors to keep him in custody ahead of a trial had expired.
The Indian Defence Ministry has ordered a CBI probe into the allegations of kickbacks to the tune of Rs 362 crore after the arrest of Orsi and Spagnolini by Italian investigators in connection with the case.
Orsi was at the helm of Augusta Westland when the deal was struck and he is suspected of involvement in the payment of bribes.
Prosecutors suspect that around 50 million euros (Rs 362 crore approximately), about 10 per cent of the deal, were ploughed back into kickbacks to ensure Agusta Westland won the contract.
In February 2010, India had inked the deal to acquire the 12 three-engine AW-101 helicopters from Agusta Westland for VVIP use.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees