Woman strips naked to hug Mandela statue in South Africa
Johannesburg: A woman stripped naked in Nelson Mandela Square in Johannesburg and caressed a huge statue of the liberation hero as astonished bystanders looked on, local media reported Wednesday.
The young African woman first saluted the statue of the former president, who is revered for his role in defeating the racist apartheid system, before disrobing, witnesses said.
A picture posted on Twitter showed her naked and leaning her head against the knee of the statue in an upmarket area of South Africa`s commercial capital.
A waitress at a nearby restaurant told The Star newspaper that the woman`s actions, at around 4.00pm on a busy Monday, had caused a frenzy.
Male waiters got their orders wrong and a male customer was hit on the head by his wife for getting up to take a closer look, she said.
Nelson Mandela Square marketing manager Megan Meas said a security guard had asked the woman to put on her clothes, which she did before leaving the square without answering any questions.
"This was an unauthorised incident conducted by a private citizen in her personal capacity on our property," Meas said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Deepika Padukone-Ranveer Singh break-up? Here's what the 'Padmavati' star has to say!