`World would sacrifice Israel to radical Islam`
Jerusalem: Israel’s hawkish Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman has lashed out at the international community, criticising its policies towards the Palestinians.
He said that many world leaders would readily sacrifice Israel to radical Islam just as Europe appeased the Nazis before World War II.
Lieberman hit back at European foreign ministers for condemning Israel’s plans to build settler housing in an especially sensitive area of the West Bank, news 24 reports.
According to the report, he also accused the international community of ignoring threats to Israel, including weapons smuggling by Palestinian militants and calls for Israel`s destruction from Palestinian Hamas militants and Iran.
Lieberman said some of his European counterparts ‘regard Israel’s destruction as a given’.
"Expressions and promises of commitment to Israel`s security from all around the world remind me of similar commitments made to Czechoslovakia in 1938," Lieberman told a diplomatic conference, invoking an analogy he has used before.
"My sense is that all the promises and commitments to Israel`s security are mere words," he said.
"When push comes to shove, many key leaders would be willing to sacrifice Israel without batting an eyelid, in order to appease the radical Islamist militants and ensure quiet for themselves," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what