`Wrong steps by UN could worsen Syria bloodshed`
Washington: Missteps by the United Nations Security Council could cause worse bloodshed in Syria, a senior Chinese diplomat said on Tuesday after Vice President Xi Jinping finished a day of talks in Washington.
The Security Council must be "very careful" when dealing with Syria, Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Cui Tiankai told reporters.
Cui reiterated China`s position that it supported the role of the Arab League in seeking to defuse the Syrian conflict and "inclusive dialogue" in Syria to end the violence.
But he said the UN Security Council needed to take a "very careful and very responsible attitude" regarding action on Syria.
He said: "If the UN Security Council takes the wrong steps, that could lead to even worse bloodshed."
US President Barack Obama told Xi that China must play by the same trade rules as other major world powers, expressed disappointment about China`s veto of a UN Security Council resolution on Syria, and vowed to keep pressing China on its human rights record.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them