`Wrong steps by UN could worsen Syria bloodshed`
Washington: Missteps by the United Nations Security Council could cause worse bloodshed in Syria, a senior Chinese diplomat said on Tuesday after Vice President Xi Jinping finished a day of talks in Washington.
The Security Council must be "very careful" when dealing with Syria, Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Cui Tiankai told reporters.
Cui reiterated China`s position that it supported the role of the Arab League in seeking to defuse the Syrian conflict and "inclusive dialogue" in Syria to end the violence.
But he said the UN Security Council needed to take a "very careful and very responsible attitude" regarding action on Syria.
He said: "If the UN Security Council takes the wrong steps, that could lead to even worse bloodshed."
US President Barack Obama told Xi that China must play by the same trade rules as other major world powers, expressed disappointment about China`s veto of a UN Security Council resolution on Syria, and vowed to keep pressing China on its human rights record.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...