Yemen: 33 killed in clashes between al Qaeda, Army
Sana`a: At least thirty-three people, including six soldiers, were killed on Saturday in an operation launched by the Yemeni Army in southern Abyan province, the Defence Ministry said.
Elements of the 25th Mechanized Army Brigade attacked a terrorist stronghold on the outskirts of Abyan capital Zinjibar, killing 20 terrorists, mostly Somali nationals, Xinhua reported citing a ministry statement.
Two soldiers were killed and four others injured during the attack, the ministry said.
Around 30 terrorists fled the war-zone in pick-up trucks, but were bombed by Yemeni warplanes. The casualty figures were not immediately available, an army commander told Xinhua.
A Yemen-based al Qaeda branch - locally known as Ansar al-Sharia - is attempting to expand its foothold and take control over the county`s southern regions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral