Yemen: 33 killed in clashes between al Qaeda, Army
Sana`a: At least thirty-three people, including six soldiers, were killed on Saturday in an operation launched by the Yemeni Army in southern Abyan province, the Defence Ministry said.
Elements of the 25th Mechanized Army Brigade attacked a terrorist stronghold on the outskirts of Abyan capital Zinjibar, killing 20 terrorists, mostly Somali nationals, Xinhua reported citing a ministry statement.
Two soldiers were killed and four others injured during the attack, the ministry said.
Around 30 terrorists fled the war-zone in pick-up trucks, but were bombed by Yemeni warplanes. The casualty figures were not immediately available, an army commander told Xinhua.
A Yemen-based al Qaeda branch - locally known as Ansar al-Sharia - is attempting to expand its foothold and take control over the county`s southern regions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram