Yemen: 33 killed in clashes between al Qaeda, Army
Sana`a: At least thirty-three people, including six soldiers, were killed on Saturday in an operation launched by the Yemeni Army in southern Abyan province, the Defence Ministry said.
Elements of the 25th Mechanized Army Brigade attacked a terrorist stronghold on the outskirts of Abyan capital Zinjibar, killing 20 terrorists, mostly Somali nationals, Xinhua reported citing a ministry statement.
Two soldiers were killed and four others injured during the attack, the ministry said.
Around 30 terrorists fled the war-zone in pick-up trucks, but were bombed by Yemeni warplanes. The casualty figures were not immediately available, an army commander told Xinhua.
A Yemen-based al Qaeda branch - locally known as Ansar al-Sharia - is attempting to expand its foothold and take control over the county`s southern regions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing