Yemen: 33 killed in clashes between al Qaeda, Army
Sana`a: At least thirty-three people, including six soldiers, were killed on Saturday in an operation launched by the Yemeni Army in southern Abyan province, the Defence Ministry said.
Elements of the 25th Mechanized Army Brigade attacked a terrorist stronghold on the outskirts of Abyan capital Zinjibar, killing 20 terrorists, mostly Somali nationals, Xinhua reported citing a ministry statement.
Two soldiers were killed and four others injured during the attack, the ministry said.
Around 30 terrorists fled the war-zone in pick-up trucks, but were bombed by Yemeni warplanes. The casualty figures were not immediately available, an army commander told Xinhua.
A Yemen-based al Qaeda branch - locally known as Ansar al-Sharia - is attempting to expand its foothold and take control over the county`s southern regions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- BSNL waives installation charges on new landline connections
- Xiaomi Mi 5 gets a huge price cut; know the new rate here
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin poses as journalist during Carlos Brathwaite's press conference
- Rio Olympics fallout: Sports Ministry sets up inquiry to probe apathy in OP Jaisha's case
- SHOCKING! 1,012 rapes in UP in last 5 months, says govt