Yemen: 5 al Qaeda-linked militants killed
Sana’a: A Yemeni security official says government shelling has killed five al Qaeda-linked militants in a southern town, while one soldier has died in a landmine explosion in the same area.
The official says the bombardment in Zinjibar started on Saturday night and continued through early Sunday.
He says a Yemeni soldier died when he stepped on a mine on Sunday east of Zinjibar. He spoke on condition of anonymity according to regulations.
During the past year of turmoil in Yemen, al Qaeda-linked militants seized control of parts of the south including Zinjibar. Government operations have failed to oust them.
On Saturday, a car bomb killed at least 25 people in the south, hours after the country`s new President was formally inaugurated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Bastian Schweinsteiger not giving up on Manchester United
- England vs Pakistan, 1st ODI: Pak Innings — As it happened...
- World's largest aircraft, Airlander 10, crashes during 2nd test flight - Watch
- Reliance Jio gets aggressive; partners Samsung, Micromax and others for free voice, data service
- Zeta eases retail payment further with NFC-enabled super tag