Yemen: 5 al Qaeda-linked militants killed
Sana’a: A Yemeni security official says government shelling has killed five al Qaeda-linked militants in a southern town, while one soldier has died in a landmine explosion in the same area.
The official says the bombardment in Zinjibar started on Saturday night and continued through early Sunday.
He says a Yemeni soldier died when he stepped on a mine on Sunday east of Zinjibar. He spoke on condition of anonymity according to regulations.
During the past year of turmoil in Yemen, al Qaeda-linked militants seized control of parts of the south including Zinjibar. Government operations have failed to oust them.
On Saturday, a car bomb killed at least 25 people in the south, hours after the country`s new President was formally inaugurated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter