Yemen: 5 al Qaeda-linked militants killed
Sana’a: A Yemeni security official says government shelling has killed five al Qaeda-linked militants in a southern town, while one soldier has died in a landmine explosion in the same area.
The official says the bombardment in Zinjibar started on Saturday night and continued through early Sunday.
He says a Yemeni soldier died when he stepped on a mine on Sunday east of Zinjibar. He spoke on condition of anonymity according to regulations.
During the past year of turmoil in Yemen, al Qaeda-linked militants seized control of parts of the south including Zinjibar. Government operations have failed to oust them.
On Saturday, a car bomb killed at least 25 people in the south, hours after the country`s new President was formally inaugurated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Terrorist captured in J&K's Kupwara district is Pakistani national from Lahore: Report
- No question of tampering with samples of shot putter Inderjeet Singh: NADA boss
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US
- One billion iPhones have been sold: Apple CEO Tim Cook
- US prosecutors drop all charges in Freddie Gray death