Yemen: 5 al Qaeda-linked militants killed
Sana’a: A Yemeni security official says government shelling has killed five al Qaeda-linked militants in a southern town, while one soldier has died in a landmine explosion in the same area.
The official says the bombardment in Zinjibar started on Saturday night and continued through early Sunday.
He says a Yemeni soldier died when he stepped on a mine on Sunday east of Zinjibar. He spoke on condition of anonymity according to regulations.
During the past year of turmoil in Yemen, al Qaeda-linked militants seized control of parts of the south including Zinjibar. Government operations have failed to oust them.
On Saturday, a car bomb killed at least 25 people in the south, hours after the country`s new President was formally inaugurated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore