Yemen clashes between al Qaeda, militiamen kill 14
Sana’a: Yemen`s Defence Ministry says clashes in the south between al Qaeda militants and pro-government fighters have killed 14 on both sides.
A ministry statement on Thursday says the fighting lasted for the past two days and left eight militants dead. It`s part of a military offensive that local militiamen have joined to push al Qaeda out of the mountainous stronghold of al-Maraksha in Abyan province.
Abdullah al-Ameeri says six of his fighters were killed. Al-Ameeri is a member of the Popular Committees, a militia of local residents who sided with the government against al Qaeda.
The US considers Yemen`s al Qaeda branch as the group`s most dangerous offshoot. Washington has helped Yemeni troops with airpower and advisers during last summer`s offensive to drive militants out of large areas al Qaeda seized during Yemen`s 2011 uprising.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive