Yemen clashes between al Qaeda, militiamen kill 9
Sanaa: Yemini security officials say clashes in the south between al Qaeda and pro-government fighters have killed nine.
The officials said on Sunday that pro-government fighters recaptured the town of Batis, north of the city of Jaar in Abyan province, after three days of fighting that left six militants and three pro-government militiamen dead. Seven were wounded and 11 al Qaeda members were captured.
The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity in line with regulations, said the army supported the pro-government militia known as Popular Committees in the fighting.
The US considers Yemen`s al Qaeda branch as the terror group`s most dangerous offshoot. Washington helped Yemeni troops with airpower and advisers during last year`s offensive to drive the militants out of large areas they seized during the political turmoil related to Yemen`s 2011 uprising.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'