Yemen clashes between al Qaeda, militiamen kill 9
Sanaa: Yemini security officials say clashes in the south between al Qaeda and pro-government fighters have killed nine.
The officials said on Sunday that pro-government fighters recaptured the town of Batis, north of the city of Jaar in Abyan province, after three days of fighting that left six militants and three pro-government militiamen dead. Seven were wounded and 11 al Qaeda members were captured.
The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity in line with regulations, said the army supported the pro-government militia known as Popular Committees in the fighting.
The US considers Yemen`s al Qaeda branch as the terror group`s most dangerous offshoot. Washington helped Yemeni troops with airpower and advisers during last year`s offensive to drive the militants out of large areas they seized during the political turmoil related to Yemen`s 2011 uprising.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj