Yemen releases southern opposition leader
Sanaa: Yemen`s main southern opposition
leader, Hassan Baoum, was released from jail along with his
son just hours after the formation of a transitional unity
government, a family member said in Sanaa.
Baoum and his son Fawaz were arrested on February 20 in
Yemen`s southern port city Aden, where they had planned to
join an anti-government protest. They were freed late
"My father and brother Fawaz were both released in
Sanaa," said Fadi Baoum, another son of the southern
Baoum heads the supreme council of the Southern Movement
whose members call for either independence or increased
autonomy from north Yemen.
He has been arrested on several occasions by the central
Baoum`s release came just hours after Prime
Minister-designate Mohammed Basindawa, a southerner himself,
announced the formation of a transitional unity government
that will lead Yemen until February, when Vice President
Abdrabuh Mansur Hadi is formerly elected to the presidency.
Hadi, another southerner, was given temporary
presidential powers and asked to form a unity government after
President Ali Abdullah Saleh signed a Gulf-sponsored
initiative aimed at ensuring a smooth transition of power in
Yemen after months of mass anti-government protests.
In return for stepping down, Saleh and his family were
granted immunity from prosecution for alleged crimes committed
against Yemenis in the protests that began in January
demanding his ouster.
Hundreds have been killed and thousands more wounded in
the capital and other Yemeni cities in a brutal government
crackdown on demonstrations.
The Gulf Cooperation Council initiative also calls on the
new Yemeni leadership to ensure a peaceful and just resolution
of the southern issue.
Residents in the formerly independent southern region
complain of discrimination by the Sanaa government in the
distribution of resources since the union between north and
south in 1990.
The south broke away again in 1994, sparking a brief
civil war that ended with the region overrun by northern
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly