Yemen sees surge in `husband killings`
Moscow: At least 50 Yemeni women were arrested last year on murder charges with most of them accused of killing their husbands, the Yemeni interior ministry has said in a report.
The arrested women were aged between 25 and 50 years.
According to the ministry, the main reasons for their crimes were a feeling of inequality, domestic violence and "emotional motives".
Al Arabiya cited Mujib Abdul Bari, a specialist in psychiatric and neurological disorders, as saying that daily abuse by males puts a woman in a desperate position and under such conditions women "forget their femininity and resort to killing their spouse".
The ministry also said that in 2012 the number of Yemeni women who became victims of attempted murder was nearly double that of females accused of killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report