Yemen sees surge in `husband killings`
Moscow: At least 50 Yemeni women were arrested last year on murder charges with most of them accused of killing their husbands, the Yemeni interior ministry has said in a report.
The arrested women were aged between 25 and 50 years.
According to the ministry, the main reasons for their crimes were a feeling of inequality, domestic violence and "emotional motives".
Al Arabiya cited Mujib Abdul Bari, a specialist in psychiatric and neurological disorders, as saying that daily abuse by males puts a woman in a desperate position and under such conditions women "forget their femininity and resort to killing their spouse".
The ministry also said that in 2012 the number of Yemeni women who became victims of attempted murder was nearly double that of females accused of killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city