Yemen sees surge in `husband killings`
Moscow: At least 50 Yemeni women were arrested last year on murder charges with most of them accused of killing their husbands, the Yemeni interior ministry has said in a report.
The arrested women were aged between 25 and 50 years.
According to the ministry, the main reasons for their crimes were a feeling of inequality, domestic violence and "emotional motives".
Al Arabiya cited Mujib Abdul Bari, a specialist in psychiatric and neurological disorders, as saying that daily abuse by males puts a woman in a desperate position and under such conditions women "forget their femininity and resort to killing their spouse".
The ministry also said that in 2012 the number of Yemeni women who became victims of attempted murder was nearly double that of females accused of killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof