Yemeni man sets himself on fire outside Cabinet
Sanaa: Medical officials say a Yemeni man set himself on fire outside the Cabinet building in the capital Sanaa.
The officials say Abdel-Hakim Hamoud Qasim is in critical condition after today`s self-immolation. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to brief reporters.
His cousin, Mohammed Qasim, says Abdel-Hakim was protesting a complaint he had filed to the Ministry of Petroleum against Canadian oil and gas company Nexen, which he worked for as a driver for 16 years until 2006. Mohammed says his cousin was severely injured on the job in Yemen and only paid USD 3,000 after the accident.
The company could not be immediately reached for comment.
A similar act of self-immolation in Tunisia last year helped trigger a series of uprisings in Arab countries, including Yemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble