YouTube announces shut down for a decade - April Fool`s prank?
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Monday, April 01, 2013, 16:01
  
New Delhi: After eight years of providing online video sharing service, it seems that it’s time for YouTube to indulge in some April Fool’s frolicking as the website has announced it would shutdown for an entire decade only to choose a winner in 2023!

A three and half minute video post on the website’s homepage yesterday announced, “It's finally time to pick the winner”.

The video explained how the website was set up as a contest with the sole purpose of choosing the best entry winner.

Tom Liston who came across as “competition director" said in a video that time had come to assess all the video uploads so far and the best entry would be declared in 2023.

"We are so close to the end. Tonight at midnight, youtube.Com will no longer be accepting entries. After eight amazing years, it is finally time to review everything that has been uploaded to our site and begin the process of selecting a winner”, he said.

The popular video sharing website that started in 2005, was purchased by the Google in 2006 for $1.65 billion.


First Published: Monday, April 01, 2013, 10:55


comments powered by Disqus