Ahead of the Assembly elections in Manipur, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Monday released its first list of 31 candidates.
North East News
In a jolt to the ruling Congress in Manipur ahead of assembly elections in March, its state Vice- president and two MLAs today resigned from the party's primary membership.
Two women arms smugglers and an illegal manufacturer of weapons were arrested and a six 9-mm pistols, five magazines and a live round seized by a combined team of Assam Rifles and Manipur police.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday greeted the three northeastern states of Tripura, Manipur and Meghalaya on their statehood day.
Expressing grave concern over the continued blockade of National Highway-2, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh has asked the Manipur government to maintain public order in the state, including maintenance of essential supplies and a conducive atmosphere for holding elections next month.
A 25-year-old man was arrested after arms and ammunition were allegedly recovered from him at Thapa Daregnchi in Meghalaya's North Garo Hills (NGH) district on Thursday, police said.
Election to 60-member Manipur Assembly will be held on March 4 and 8.
Minister of States for Home Kiren Rijiju recently said the blockade in any form was "totally unacceptable"
Inugbamsanatombi Devi was arrested on Thursday along with Khoirom Ranjit, a Commander-in-Chief of KCP (Poirei Meitei), who is in police custody until January 19.
Union Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javadekar on Sunday demanded resignation of Manipur Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh for his failure to end the ongoing economic blockade which has affected availability of essential commodities in the region.
The ruling Naga People's Front (NPF) on Sunday affirmed not to withdraw any candidate from the February 1 elections to Urban Local Bodies in the state in the face of the boycott call and warning of ex-communications to candidates by different tribal organisations in Nagaland.
Congress MLA Thounaojam Shyamkumar has denied Delhi Police`s charge that he has nexus with a proscribed underground organisation in Manipur.
Budget carrier IndiGo in association with Delhi Police today launched 'Akhiri Ahuti', a social service under which the Gurgaon-based airline would ferry free of cost the bodies of Northeast residents who die in Delhi to their homes.
Three cadres of NSCN(IM) and one sympathiser was apprehended from different locations of Thoubal district following three search operations by Manipur police commandos, a police officer said on Thursday.
The chief of Manipur's proscribed Kangliepak Communist Party was on Thursday arrested along with a woman from east Delhi's Mayur Vihar area.
Assam-based organisations of Manipuri people on Wednesday warned of retaliation if the Naga-imposed indefinite economic blockade of Manipur is not withdrawn soon.
The possible reason for this seems to be opposing the creation of new districts by the state government.
In a major breakthrough, Manipur Police have identified the militant group that had been threatening local editors.
Vehicles kept off road and very few people ventured outside during the eight-and-half-an-hour bandh called today by Angami Youth Organisation (AYO) in Kohima Municipality under Kohima district and Chumukedima and Mediziphema Town Councils, both under Dimapur district, today.
The sex racket came to light after an employee of a guest house owned by senior Congress leader and state Home Minister HDR Lyngdoh's son was arrested for pimping the victim last month.
The model code of conduct has come into effect in Manipur and Uttarakhand with an announcement of the poll schedule yesterday.
A 4.3 magnitude earthquake hit Myanmar on Thursday.
Eleven suspected supporters of United Naga Council were injured when they tried to storm the Deputy Commissioner's office in Senapati district to protest creation of seven new districts, police said today.
An Assam Rifles jawan has been killed and a civilian injured in an encounter with suspected militants at Khunthak village in Ukhrul district of Manipur.
Another moderate quake of magnitude 5.4 was recorded along the India-Myanmar border region at 12.20 AM.
Experts consider India's mountainous northeast the sixth major quake-prone belt in the world.
It is said that music knows no barriers and unites people.
The Left Front has been in power for the last 23 years in Tripura.
The BJP in Arunachal Pradesh on Friday made it clear that it will "only" support Pema Khandu government in the state and "will never" support any other chief minister.
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Andhra Pradesh: NIA team reaches Kuneru to investigate train accident
- Jallikattu protests turn violent; Police station attacked, vehicles set on fire
- Panel discussion on the promises made in Samajwadi Party's manifesto Part II
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- Panel discussion on the promises made in Samajwadi Party's manifesto Part III
- Watch: Preparation undergoing for 68th Republic Day celebration in Delhi
- Delhi: Republic Day full dress rehearsal today
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Dynastic politics: How leaders seek tickets for their family for polls
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur
- Xiaomi Mi6: This is what you need to know about launch, price and specs
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 sold out; here are the dates of the next sale
- Younger Phogat sisters hope to claim Olympic medal to complete father's unfulfilled dream
- 'Commando 2' trailer is out! Vidyut Jammwal enthrals audience with mind-blowing stunts - WATCH
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly Elections 2017: 'BJP would gain if Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance fails'
- Box Office report: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' picks up pace on weekend again
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly Elections: Finally, Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance sealed
- Ukraine and sores of Black Sea looks spectacular from space station!
- Mahira Khan looks stunning in THIS white outfit!