New Delhi: Basant Panchami or Vasant Panchami is celebrated by performing Goddess Saraswati Puja in many parts of India. The fifth day of the month of Magha according to the Hindu calendar marks the onset of the spring season.
It is considered to be an extremely auspicious day for new beginnings and Goddess Saraswati is a symbol of knowledge, wisdom, and education.
In case you are not aware of the Puja Vidhi, here are some guidelines that will help:
- Try to wear Yellow clothes
- Prepare yellow coloured Prasad (saffron sweet rice pudding, laddu , pineapple suji halwa etc.)
- Buy yellow flowers to offer to the Goddess.
Performing Saraswati Puja:
1. Begin with placing a photo or an idol of Goddess Saraswati on a wooden platform. Spread a yellow/red cloth on the platform before placing the idol/photograph.
2. If you have children in the house, keep their books, a pen/pencil/slate at the feet of the Goddess.
3. Light an earthen or brass lamp by using mustard/seasame oil.
4. Light a few incense sticks.
5. With all your devotion, invite Maa Saraswati to accept your prayers and offerings.
6. Next, put a tika with chandan and kumkum on the Goddess’s forhead.
7. Chant this shloka:
कुन्देन्दुतुषारहारधवला या शुभ्रवस्त्रावृता
वीणावरदण्डमण्डितकरा या श्वेतपद्मासना।
ब्रह्माच्युत शंकरप्रभृतिभिर्देवैः सदा वन्दिता
मां पातु सरस्वती भगवती निःशेषजाड्यापहा॥
The English translation of this Shloka is as follows:
Who is as beautiful as the jasmine flower,
Who is dressed in white, who holds a Veena in one hand and is seated on a white lotus,
Who is admired by Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva, the Devas and the Gods,
Bless me by eliminating the ignorance in me.”
8. Once this is done, offer yellow flowers, the sweet preparations and a kalash full of water.
9. Perform the Saraswati Aarti as you close your eyes and pray to the Goddess to bless you with knowledge and wisdom.