Australia batsman Aaron Finch signs for Yorkshire
Australia`s hard-hitting opening batsman Aaron Finch has signed a deal to play for Yorkshire in this year`s English county season.
One of the top Twenty20 batsmen in the world, Finch, will join the team in May after his Indian Premier League commitments are over and is slated to be a big draw in the T20 Blast that is scheduled on Fridays from May to July.
Finch, who scored handsomely against England in their recent limited-overs series, credited Australia coach Darren Lehmann for helping him make up his mind.
"When I heard Yorkshire was interested in signing me, I had no hesitation in signing," the 27-year-old told the club`s website.
"I had a good chat with Darren Lehmann and he recommended that I joined the club. He can`t speak highly enough of the place and Yorkshire`s loyal supporters.
"I hope to play in all formats whilst I`m at the club and even though the T20 season will be very exciting, I`m looking forward to testing myself in red ball cricket too."
With axed England batsman Kevin Pietersen also agreeing a deal to play for Surrey, the English T20 season is set to receive a boost.
"I`d definitely back him (Finch) to score more runs for us than Kevin Pietersen does for Surrey," Yorkshire chief executive Mark Arthur was quoted as saying by the Guardian newspaper.
"He`s an exciting player and a box-office signing, both for Yorkshire and for English cricket."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa dies at 68 after suffering cardiac arrest; mortal remains brought to her official residence
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what