Baroda take upper hand against Saurashtra
Rajkot: Utkarsh Patel (3/46) and Murtuja Vahora (2/29) shared five wickets between them to help Baroda reduce Saurashtra to 215 for six after themselves posting 400 in their first innings on the second day of the Ranji Trophy Group B match here on Monday.
Saurashtra are still trailing by 185 runs with just four wicket remaining. Their last recognised batting pair -- Arpit Vasavada (batting 19) and all rounder Kamlesh Makwana (batting 6) -- were at the crease at close of play on day two here at the Saurashtra Cricket Association (SCA) stadium, Khandheri.
Saurashtra did not have an ideal start while replying to Baroda`s 400 in a crucial tie where both teams needed outright win to keep hopes of qualifying for the knockout stage.
Opening batsman Chirag Pathak and one down Sagar Jogiyani got out cheaply, making 12 and 14, respectively.
However, Bhushan Chauhan (49) and Sheldon Jackson (76) managed to resist the Baroda`s disciplined spin attack as the duo added 87 runs for the third wicket.
But just when it looked as if the pair has settled down, Chauhan was trapped lbw after he faced 135 balls with seven hits to the fence.
Baroda`s spinners did not allow Jaydev Shah (29) and Chirag Jani (0) to settle down.
For Baroda, Utkarsh was the most successful bowler with three wickets and he was well supported by Vahora.
Earlier, resuming at overnight 348 for five, Baroda could add only 52 runs losing five wickets in 14.4 overs in the morning.
Skipper Yusuf Pathan remained unbeaten on 68 off 87 balls with the help of seven fours and two sixes, but rest of the batsmen failed to reach even the double-digit mark.
For Saurashtra, Jaydev Unadkat was the pick of the bowlers with figures of three for 58, while Chirag Jani and Dharmendra Jadeja took two wickets each.
Baroda 2st innings: 400 all out (Saurabh Wakaskar 128, Aditya Waghmode 94, Yusuf Pathan not out 68; Jaydev Unadkat 3/58, Chirag Jani 2/44).
Saurashtra 1st innings: 215 for six in 73 overs (Sheldon Jackson 76, Bhushan Chauhan 49; Utkarsh Patel 3/46, Murtua Vahora 2/29).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000