Commonwealth Games 2014: India men`s hockey team departs for Glasgow
The Indian men`s hockey team led by midfielder Sardar Singh left for Glasgow on Sunday morning for the upcoming Commonwealth Games to be held from July 23 to August 3.
The Indian team will play its opening game against Wales on July 25, followed by matches against hosts Scotland, Australia and South Africa during the tournament.
Goalkeeper PR Sreejesh, who recently completed his 100th international cap, will shoulder the responsibility as the vice-captain of the side.
The team had been practicing different patterns during the training sessions at Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium here during last three weeks, and the chief coach Terry Walsh expressed confident of his players implementing the tactics and strategies well in the matches, and end the tournament on a high.
"The preparatory camp was productive as it helped us to work on the areas that the team was lacking in. The team is all pepped up and confident of performing well in the Games ahead. We are sure that we will end the tournament on a high note and take the form onto the Asian Games," said Walsh.
Before departing for the Commonwealth Games, captain Sardar Singh said, "We have been working really hard in the last few weeks since the World Cup. We showcased in the World Cup that we have the capabilities to give any team a tough time. We are looking forward to our first game in the CWG and the aim is to start on a winning note.
"The team is fully motivated and will look to draw inspiration from our silver medal finish at the previous edition of the Commonwealth Games in 2010."
The Commonwealth Games will see a total of 10 teams playing in two pools. While India are placed along with Wales, Scotland, Australia and South Africa in Pool A, Canada, England, Malaysia, New Zealand and Trinidad & Tobago are placed in Pool B.
India men`s team match schedule at CWG:
July 25: vs wales at 13:30 IST
July 26: vs Scotland at 20:30 IST
July 29: vs Australia at 18:30 IST
July 31: vs South Africa at 20:30 IST.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars