2014 CWG: Australian weightlifter Francois Etoundi charged with assault
Glasgow: Weightlifting bronze medallist Francois Etoundi has been identified as the Australian athlete charged with assault by Glasgow police.
The Cameroon-born 77-kg bronze medallist Etoundi was allegedly involved in a quarrel in the Athletes Village, and will appear in Glasgow Sherriff`s Court Thursday night, reports ABC.
Etoundi, Glasgow silver medallist Simplice Ribouem and Daniel Koum, represented Cameroon at the Melbourne Games in 2006 and stayed in the country and became Australian citizens in 2008. They represented Australia in the last two Commonwealth Games.
Etoundi`s is the second fracas involving an Australian, after the brother of an Australian boxer was charged and taken into custody over an alleged aggravated assault at a Games venue.
Laith Samardali, 25, reacted furiously to his brother Jordan`s knockout in the first round in the light heavyweight quarter-finals Wednesday.
He was refused bail and is also due to appear in the Glasgow Sheriff`s Court Thursday for sentencing.
Laith Samardali was himself once a promising boxer, but his career ended four years ago when he was seriously injured in a brawl.
He was placed in an induced coma after being bashed across the back of the head with a concrete slab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof