1st Test, Day 1: Sri Lanka on top after Sangakkara's ton
Galle: Regular updates of the first Test between Bangladesh and Sri Lanka being played at Sri Lanka’s Galle International Stadium.
SRI LANKA Overs: 85.3 II Score: 361/3
STUMPS: Rain has caused the day to come to a slightly premature halt. Again, Bangladesh get a wicket and it's Sangakkara who made his exit after a strong 142. Sohag Gazi gets his 3rd and is three tenths done with getting all ten wickets in an innings. Somehow I feel a Sri Lanka declaration could ruin that possibility.
New man Angelo Mathews has started well and is unbeaten on 25, while Thirimanne has made another good score, ending the day on 74*.
SRI LANKA Overs: 59 II Score: 247/2
TEA: A session that was completely dominated by Kumar Sangakkara ends with Sri Lanka supremely in command. Bangladesh did, yet again, pick up a wicket in the session, but everyone seems to be getting starts for the Lankans. Gazi picked up Karunaratne's wicket, trapped leg-before, but not before he'd made a gritty 41. Thirimanne, who has come to the crease since then, has already put on 29 runs.
But the major performer so far has been Sangakkara who brought up his 31st Test century and is still at the crease at 104*. Time for a brew as the players head towards the final session of the day.
SRI LANKA Overs: 26 II Score: 132/1
LUNCH: Sri Lanka have dominated a dour session and though they lost Dilshan late in the session after he'd reached his breezy 50. Sangakkara is unbeaten on 44 at one end, playing solidly, while Karunaratne joined him after Dilshan's fall and has already put on 20 runs. Soha Gazi picked up the only wicket in Bangladesh's lacklustre bowling attack. Time for some food at Galle.
Dilshan c Mominul Haque b Sohag Gazi 54 (63b)
Toss & Team News: Sri Lanka have won the toss and decided to bat first against Bangladesh in the first Test.
Kithuruwan Vithanage will be making his debut for Sri Lanka.
Bangladesh, meanwhile, have left out opening batsman Tamim Iqbal from their playing XI.
Sri Lanka (Playing XI): Tillakaratne Dilshan, Dimuth Karunaratne, Kumar Sangakkara, Lahiru Thirimanne, Kithuruwan Vithanage, Angelo Mathews(c), Dinesh Chandimal(w), Nuwan Kulasekara, Rangana Herath, Shaminda Eranga, Ajantha Mendis
Bangladesh (Playing XI): Anamul Haque, Jahurul Islam, Mohammad Ashraful, Mahmudullah, Mushfiqur Rahim(w/c), Nasir Hossain, Mominul Haque, Abul Hasan, Sohag Gazi, Elias Sunny, Shahadat Hossain
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend