Alastair Cook wants England to come out fighting on Boxing Day
New Delhi: England captain Alastair Cook believes the fourth Ashes test starting in Melbourne on Thursday is the perfect stage for his battered side to salvage some pride and work towards ending what has been a miserable series on a high.
Cook`s men arrived as favourites to retain the Ashes with a fourth successive series win over hosts Australia but have already relinquished the urn and were rocked further with the shock retirement of spearhead spinner Graeme Swann on Monday.
The England captain, who celebrated his 29th birthday on Wednesday, will be forced to reshuffle his bowling attack following Swann`s departure but was keen to look for positives ahead of Thursday`s match after a woeful tour to date.
"It`s been an interesting week," Cook told reporters in Melbourne on Wednesday with his England side already 3-0 down in the five-test series after heavy defeats in Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth.
"Losing the Ashes and with Swannie going as well, it has been a different week.
"When you lose games of cricket, naturally your confidence does slip."
Monty Panesar is expected to come in for Swann while pace bowlers Jimmy Anderson and Stuart Broad are battling against a loss of form and a foot injury respectively.
Wicketkeeper Matt Prior could also miss out due to a poor run of form with the bat and recent problems with the gloves but Cook insists that whoever lines up for England in Melbourne will be united in their quest for redemption in the series.
"We`re desperate to turn it around and you don`t often get the chance to play a Boxing Day Test match at the MCG, which reportedly is going to be pretty much sold out for the first day," the left-handed opener added.
"That`s an incredible opportunity we have as players. We know we`re up against it in terms of the last three results.
"But you`ve got to keep believing in yourself."
Cook praised Swann`s contribution to the England side over the past five years and was keen to emphasise the spinner`s comments in a news conference on Tuesday accusing some international players of "disappearing up their own backsides" were not aimed at any of the current touring squad.
"A phone call to Swannie reassured me very quickly that it wasn`t at all about any of the England players," Cook added.
"He totally 100 percent reassures me and the whole England team that it`s not about us. So to me, the matter`s closed on that."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt