Australia asks BCCI to shift Kanpur Test due to inapt international facilities
Sydney: Australia has urged the Board of Cricket Control in India (BCCI) to shift a Test match from Kanpur to some other venue during their upcoming tour due to lack of international facilities.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, an inspection team from Cricket Australia (CA) and the Australian Cricketer’s Association (ACA) concluded that the amenities at Green Park in Kanpur, which has not hosted a Test since 2009, were inapt.
The Test match is expected to be moved to Hyderabad, however, there are few political hindrances to be sorted out before this can happen.
ACA chief executive Paul Marsh said neither they nor the CA were interested in playing at Kanpur, and added that the BCCI has been informed but no definitive response has been achieved yet.
Marsh added that the change-room facilities are not up to international standard at Kanpur and there are various issues with the outfield and the pitch.
Marsh said the main hurdle is that there is a lack of certain facilities that they would expect to be in place for international cricket.
Green Park is the only Test venue in India owned by the state government rather than the cricket board, and the Uttar Pradesh Cricket Association is likely to be compensated with another match, probably a one-day fixture, if the Test is moved.
It`s understood the pre-tour assessment team was also unhappy with the only five-star hotel in Kanpur. The four-Test series in February and March, Australia`s last Test series before the Ashes, also includes Delhi, Mohali and Chennai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'