Australia make 204 for eight against West Indies
Kingstown: Australia made 204 for eight off their 50 overs after winning the toss and electing to bat in the first match of their five-game, one-day series against the West Indies at Arnos Vale on Friday.
On a typically slow St Vincent pitch, Australia`s Twenty20 skipper George Bailey marked his one-day debut with the top score of 48 off 67 balls with five fours.
Opener David Warner was the next best with 40 off 55 balls, an innings which also featured five boundaries.
West Indies haven`t beaten Australia in a one-day international for six years while the Aussies have won 13 of the 14 matches played since 2006 with one clash a no-result.
Australia went into the game rocked by the decision of veteran wicket-keeper Brad Haddin to return home for personal reasons.
Matthew Wade, who will be behind the stumps for the one-day series, failed to shine, out for a first ball duck, caught by Dwayne Bravo off slow bowler Sunil Narine. Dwayne Bravo, the vice-captain, took 3-58 with fellow seamer Kemar Roach claiming 2-33.
Spinners Narine and Marlon Samuels pinned down the Australians, conceding just 53 runs off 18 overs while the tourists` failure to score a six highlighted the sluggish nature of the pitch.
Skipper Shane Watson made a brisk start, scoring a quickfire 21 before he was out lbw to Dwayne Bravo. Warner and Peter Forrest added 60 for the second wicket but Forrest stuggled to 26 from 64 balls when he was stumped off Samuels.
Warner was out four balls later in the same Samuels over, falling to a fine diving catch by Kieron Pollard in the covers.
David Hussey was caught behind for a seven-ball duck off Roach before brother Michael hit 32 from 57 balls when he was out, caught at long-on off Bravo. (AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues