Australia make 204 for eight against West Indies
Kingstown: Australia made 204 for eight off their 50 overs after winning the toss and electing to bat in the first match of their five-game, one-day series against the West Indies at Arnos Vale on Friday.
On a typically slow St Vincent pitch, Australia`s Twenty20 skipper George Bailey marked his one-day debut with the top score of 48 off 67 balls with five fours.
Opener David Warner was the next best with 40 off 55 balls, an innings which also featured five boundaries.
West Indies haven`t beaten Australia in a one-day international for six years while the Aussies have won 13 of the 14 matches played since 2006 with one clash a no-result.
Australia went into the game rocked by the decision of veteran wicket-keeper Brad Haddin to return home for personal reasons.
Matthew Wade, who will be behind the stumps for the one-day series, failed to shine, out for a first ball duck, caught by Dwayne Bravo off slow bowler Sunil Narine. Dwayne Bravo, the vice-captain, took 3-58 with fellow seamer Kemar Roach claiming 2-33.
Spinners Narine and Marlon Samuels pinned down the Australians, conceding just 53 runs off 18 overs while the tourists` failure to score a six highlighted the sluggish nature of the pitch.
Skipper Shane Watson made a brisk start, scoring a quickfire 21 before he was out lbw to Dwayne Bravo. Warner and Peter Forrest added 60 for the second wicket but Forrest stuggled to 26 from 64 balls when he was stumped off Samuels.
Warner was out four balls later in the same Samuels over, falling to a fine diving catch by Kieron Pollard in the covers.
David Hussey was caught behind for a seven-ball duck off Roach before brother Michael hit 32 from 57 balls when he was out, caught at long-on off Bravo. (AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report