Australia Vs Sri Lanka: As it happened...
Feroz Khan/Zeenews Sports Bureau
Brisbane: A remarkable fight back from the Sri Lankan lower order threatened to pull off a thriller at Brisbane as Australian team clinched the first final at Brisbane by 15 runs on Sunday.
Chasing Australian target of 322 runs, Sri Lanka fell 15 runs short of the target despite Nuwan Kulasekara’s heroics.
Here is how the match panned out:
Highlights from the Sri Lankan innings
Over 49.2: Out! Shane Watson took the final wicket in Lasith Malinga.
Malinga swung hard at a Watson’s delivery towards midwicket. The ball got the elevation but not the distance as Michael Hussey took a calm catch to seal Australian victory.
Over 47.4: Out! Rangana Herath was caught by Doherty off the bowling of Shane Watson.
A length delivery was picked up expertly by Herath (5) as he attempted a slog over midwicket area. However, Clarke had placed Doherty just in front of the ropes. Score: 301/9
Over 47.1: 300 up for Sri Lanka.
Over 45.5: Out! Shane Watson ends Upul Tharanga`s innings.
Shane Watson pitched one full and Tharanga (60) went for the hit but found David Hussey at long-off. Score: 285/8
Over 43.3: Upul Tharanga completed his half-century.
Over 41.4: Out! David Hussey brought an end to a terrific knock from Nuwan Kulasekara.
The wicket was always on the cards despite the big hits from Kulasekara that threatened to change the complexion of the game. A loose shot from Kulasekara (73) was caught easily at short extra cover by Xavier Doherty. Score: 248/7
Over 39.3: Nuwan Kulasekara completed his fifty.
Kulasekara is playing a whirlwind knock here at Brisbane after Sri Lanka lost six of their top order batsmen cheaply.
Over 37.5: 200 up for Sri Lanka.
Over 30.1: Out! Farveez Maharoof became David Hussey’s third victim.
Maharoof (8) charged down the track hoping to clear the midwicket with a drive but failed to get the elevation as he gifted Daniel Christian a simple catch. Score: 144/6
Over 26.1: Out! Lahiru Thirimanne removed by David Hussey.
A tossed up delivery that spun outside off, Thirimanne (14) stepped out and attempted a drive but managed only a nick that was pouched by keeper Matthew Wade. Score: 125/5
Over 21.3: Out! Kumar Sangakkara became Brett Lee’s third victim of the night.
Sanga (42) tried lofting Lee over mid off region but mistimed the shot as Watson pouched a simple catch. Score: 115/4
Over 18.4: 100 up for Sri Lanka.
Over 16.1: Out! David Hussey got the wicket of in-form Dinesh Chandimal.
Hussey’s golden arm got Australia the wicket of in-form batsman Dinesh Chandimal (14) as he attempted a cut off a tossed up delivery, gifting James Pattinson an easy catch at point. Score: 93/3
Over 6.6: Out! Brett Lee removed dangerous Tillakaratne Dilshan.
An angled delivery that Dilshan (27) looked to drive, missing it as the ball sneaked past him between bat and pad to crash on to the stumps. Brett Lee got his second wicket. Score: 52/2
Over 6.3: 50 up for Sri Lanka!
Over: 4.4: Out! Brett Lee removed Sri Lankan skipper Mahela Jayawardene.
Jayawardene (14) tried gliding one past third man but ended up getting a thin edge to wicketkeeper Matthew Wade. Score: 39/1
Over 1: Tillakaratne Dilshan and Mahela Jaywardene took guard for Sri Lanka as Brett Lee opened up the bowling for Australia.
Lasith Malinga was the most expensive of the Lankan bowlers going for 74 runs eight overs. Dhammika Prasad was the most successful one taking 2/51.
Highlights from the Australian innings
Over 49.6: Out! David Warner was bowled in the last ball of the 50th over.
Warner slogged at the final delivery of Dhammika’s over but missed it completely as Australia ended their first innings at 321/6.
Over 48: 300 up for Australia!
Over 46.3: Out! Lasith Malinga removed Michael Clarke.
Clarke (37) tried going over midwicket, mistimed the shot and was safely caught by his Sri Lankan counterpart Mahela Jayawardene. Score: 288/5
Over 45.3: 50-run partnership between Warner and Clarke.
Over 39.1: Out! David Hussey’s stay at the crease was cut short by Rangana Herath.
A tossed up delivery from Herath and Hussey (1) played it back as the bowler jumped and completed a sharp catch. Score: 224/4
Over 38.4: Out! Dhamikka Prasad ended Daniel Christian’s innings.
Daniel Christian (10) got a faint edge off Prasad that was well held behind the stumps buy Kumara Sangakkara who took a low diving catch. Prasad appealed and umpire adjudged Christian caught behind. Score:223/3
Over 36: 200 up for Australia!
Over 34.4: David Warner reached his maiden ODI century with a boundary.
Over 34.2: Out! Maharoof dismissed Shane Watson.
Shane Watson (21) tried flicking one away but mistimed it, handing a safe catch to Lahiru Thirimanne at square leg. Score: 186/2
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!