Baptiste, Bravo voted Trinidad and Tobago best
Port of Spain (Trinidad): Sprinter Kelly-Ann Baptiste and West Indies batsman Darren Bravo were named the Trinidad & Tobago Sportswoman and Sportsman of the Year.
The 25-year-old Baptiste grabbed a bronze medal in the women`s 100 metres at this year`s World Championships in Daegu, South Korea, clocking 10.98 seconds to finish behind American winner Carmelita Jeter and Jamaica`s Veronica Campbell-Brown.
She became the first female sprinter from the twin-island republic to earn a medal at a global championship, which also helped her to earn the Best Sport Performance award.
Baptiste was also part of the T&T 4x100m women`s relay team which finished fourth at the World Championships, earning them the Team Performance-of-the-Year award.
The 22-year-old Bravo was one of the most consistent batsmen for the West Indies in the past year, earning the top men`s performance award.
He gathered 949 runs at an average of 49.94 in 20 innings from 10 matches, scoring three hundreds and three half-centuries.
His 195 against Bangladesh at the Sher-e-Bangla Stadium last month was his maiden Test hundred and his highest score for the year, and he followed up with two hundreds in successive Tests against India.
Bravo also scored 511 runs at 30.05 in 20 innings from 21 One-day Internationals, and supported with 90 runs at an average of 30.00 from three innings in the same number of Twenty20 Internationals.
The other big winner of the night was West Indies Women`s off-spinner Anisa Mohammed. She claimed awards for the Best Breakthrough Performance, Most Consistent Performer and Record-breaking Performance of the Year.
Mohammed was the most successful bowler in Women`s One-day Internationals last year, claiming 37 scalps at an average of 7.05 which bore testimony to her consistent performances. She also grabbed 10 wickets at 12.30 apiece in seven T20Is this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Bihar polls: Nitish's minister Kushwaha caught on camera taking bribe, suspended from party post