Buchanan backs Wright to pick new Kiwi skipper
Wellington: Director of New Zealand Cricket John Buchanan has backed coach John Wright to decide the next leader of the team.
Former Australia coach Buchanan insisted that he would have little direct involvement with the national side and Wright’s powers would actually increase.
The Dominion Post reports that Wright will effectively decide who takes over from Daniel Vettori as captain for the team’s next series in Zimbabwe in October.
Wright has remained silent since Buchanan’s appointment, but sources indicate that Taylor is his preferred candidate. While the other contender, Brendon McCullum, impressed Wright at the World Cup, Taylor did enough as stand-in for Vettori and has performed with the bat.
“If the coach and captain of a team don``t get along then it``s a recipe for disaster, so John needs to be very strong on who he wants there,” said Buchanan, who will convene the process to select the new captain, selectors and manager.
Changes could also loom for the selection panel of Mark Greatbatch, Glenn Turner and Lance Cairns.
Wright and Vettori sat in on the panel during the Pakistan series but neither had an official role. Buchanan favoured the coach having more selection power.
“Part of my role is very clear. I want to elevate the role of the coach. I believe an individual is accountable for the team performance yet doesn``t have some of the key responsibilities that should go with that position of which selection is one,” Buchanan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP