Buchanan backs Wright to pick new Kiwi skipper
Wellington: Director of New Zealand Cricket John Buchanan has backed coach John Wright to decide the next leader of the team.
Former Australia coach Buchanan insisted that he would have little direct involvement with the national side and Wright’s powers would actually increase.
The Dominion Post reports that Wright will effectively decide who takes over from Daniel Vettori as captain for the team’s next series in Zimbabwe in October.
Wright has remained silent since Buchanan’s appointment, but sources indicate that Taylor is his preferred candidate. While the other contender, Brendon McCullum, impressed Wright at the World Cup, Taylor did enough as stand-in for Vettori and has performed with the bat.
“If the coach and captain of a team don``t get along then it``s a recipe for disaster, so John needs to be very strong on who he wants there,” said Buchanan, who will convene the process to select the new captain, selectors and manager.
Changes could also loom for the selection panel of Mark Greatbatch, Glenn Turner and Lance Cairns.
Wright and Vettori sat in on the panel during the Pakistan series but neither had an official role. Buchanan favoured the coach having more selection power.
“Part of my role is very clear. I want to elevate the role of the coach. I believe an individual is accountable for the team performance yet doesn``t have some of the key responsibilities that should go with that position of which selection is one,” Buchanan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list