Butt openly admits to spot-fixing, apologises to fans
Karachi: Former Pakistan captain Salman Butt for the first time has publicly admitted that he indulged in spot-fixing during the Test series against England back in 2010 and has aplogised to his fans for his act.
Butt along with Mohammed Asif and Mohammed Aamir were banned by the ICC after it was proved that they were guilty of spot-fixing during a Test match against England at Lord`s in 2010.
In April, Butt and his former teammate Mohammad Asif lost their appeals to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) for the suspensions to be reduced and Dave Richardson, the ICC`s chief executive, called on them to admit their wrongdoing and cooperate with the ICC`s anti-corruption and security unit (ACSU).
"I admit the decision of the ICC tribunal," Butt said in a brief statement. "I said it before and am saying again, that to all those who have been disappointed by my actions I do apologise for them. Also, the [negative] effect it had on cricket`s integrity, I would like to apologise for that," Butt was quoted as saying.
"I want to insist, to all those playing and wanting to play cricket, they must stay away from such wrongdoings because it negatively effects them and the game of cricket," the former Pakistan skipper added.
Butt was handed out a five-year ban, with another five suspended, from all cricket by the ICC for his part in a scam during the Lord`s Test in August 2010. He also served time in prison in England.
Butt has also indicated that he is ready for any rehabilitation programme that the PCB chalks out for him and atleast wants to play domestic cricket in Pakistan.
"I want to give my availability for any PCB rehab programme and from the ICC," Butt said.
"Since I have only two years left of my ban, I request the ICC to allows me to play in domestic cricket. So by the time my ban ends, I can be available for national selection."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling