CA asks ICC to adopt fan-centric approach to rain-marred games
Melbourne: Embarrassed by the abandonment of last month`s ODI against Sri Lanka at the Sydney Cricket Ground, Cricket Australia has written to the ICC to implore possibilities of relaxing its standards for the resumption of rain-affected matches.
According to a report in a leading newspaper, CA chief executive James Sutherland has written to the ICC asking it to instruct its umpires to take a less conservative approach to an issue that is a perennial frustration to cricket fans and broadcasters.
"We have been campaigning for a fan-centric approach to managing the resumption of play," said CA spokesman Peter Young, adding that matches should resume as soon as the umpires are satisfied that the ground is not dangerous.
"We are pushing for the umpires to take a very conscious view about putting the fans first. Our concern is that there`s an innate tendency among match officials towards being ultra-conservative," he added.
Sri Lanka was denied a chance to pocket the ODI series against Australia last month after the umpires called off the fourth ODI because of a damp outfield after 90 minutes of drizzle at the SCG.
The abandonment not only frustrated the 22000 crowd, but drew angry reactions from Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawadene who was thinking of writing formally to the ICC, seeking an explanation for the call-off when the match could have completed after the rain delay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you