CA, NZC name Strong as chief of 2015 WC organising committee
Melbourne: Cricket Australia (CA) and New Zealand Cricket (NZC) have appointed businessman James Strong as the chairman of the organising committee for 2015 Cricket World Cup, to be jointly hosted by the trans-Tasman rivals.
Strong, who is the chairman of Australian supermarket chain -- Woolworths -- and heads the board of various companies, besides being a member of the board of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation that stages the Australian F1 Grand Prix and the Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix, was shortlisted after an extensive executive search process conducted on behalf of CA and NZC.
Strong will lead the board, which would oversee the delivery of the event, including the appointment of the CEO.
"I am absolutely delighted to be involved in the 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup to be jointly hosted by New Zealand and Australia. Both countries have a great track record of organising major sporting events, and share a passion for cricket," said Strong.
"The recent Cricket World Cup showcased One-day cricket as a fast paced and highly competitive form of a great game. We are working to develop an exciting tournament with matches in both countries, which will capture public imagination here and throughout the cricketing world," he added.
Delighted at Strong`s appointment, CA chairman Jack Clarke said, "Cricket is very fortunate to have attracted James Strong to lead the ICC CWC 2015 Local Organising Committee. James` experience of heading large multi-national enterprises will assist the World Cup to be an event that will attract fans from all over the world.
NZC chairman Chris Moller also said that Strong have the expertise to deliver a successful show at the World Cup.
"It will require strong and experienced leadership to deliver a successful event on a global stage and we are confident that James Strong has the expertise to provide such leadership," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview