CA slams `racist and poorly expressed` Khawaja remarks
Sydney: Cricket Australia (CA) has reportedly expressed its disappointment with the English cricket correspondent over his `Asian immigrant` remarks for Australian player Usman Khawaja, which has created an online controversy over race.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Scyld Berry wrote after Australia`s fourth Test defeat that the country`s `experiment with their Asian immigrant population will be shelved` if Khawaja was dropped for the final Test.
Stating that the comments were `unfortunate and poorly expressed`, a CA spokesman said that Khawaja is not a marginal player nor is he considered as a part of an experiment, adding that he is well regarded as an Australian cricketer and person by his fellow players and the wider cricket community.
Even though CA has seen Berry`s follow-up column in which he tried to clarify his remark, the spokesman however, said that the cricket body thought it important to contact Berry directly to express their disappointment.
The spokesman also said that the comments have trivialized what Khawaja is trying to achieve as he is first and foremost an Australian.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!