Cameron White lashes out at Marlon Samuels
Melbourne: Australian all-rounder Cameron White has slammed Cricket Australia for letting off West Indies batsman Marlon Samuels with only a reprimand, following his ugly spat with Shane Warne during a match in the Big Bash League earlier this month.
The Victorian captain, White, who played in the match between Melbourne Stars and Melbourne Renegades when the incident took place, was disappointed with Cricket Australia`s decision and termed the judgement as "remarkable".
"Remarkable, isn`t it? I don`t how many times have you seen someone throw their cricket bat and get off (with) a fine because they were provoked?" White said.
"Interesting one but I`ve never seen it before. That`s out of our hands and that`s what the judiciary came up with.
CA fined Warne USD 4500 and suspended him for one match for verbally abusing him but the West Indian, who had launched his bat mid-pitch, was handed only a reprimand as he was subjected to "extreme provocation" during a hearing on Monday.
White felt Samuels should have got a severe punishment.
"It`s just one of those things in the heat of the battle. Being provoked, I don`t think you can use that as an excuse."
White said he is not liked by Australian cricketers because of the way he conducts himself on the field.
"I don`t think he (Samuels) is very well liked, not just from the Stars` point of view, but in Australian cricket. People think he carries on a bit. (It`s) because of the way he conducts himself on the field," White said.
Later during the match, Samuels suffered a severe facial injury after being hit by a ball from Lasith Malinga, and the Sri Lankan pacer was the only Stars player to check on him, but White said it was not deliberate.
"No I don`t think that`s got much to do with it to be honest, we had a semi-final to play, there`s probably a few reasons but we were quite busy," White said.
Samuels is suspected to have suffered a fractured eye socket and it seems he has been ordered by doctors to remain as still as possible to avoid the chance of permanent damage to his vision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM