Mumbai Indians win 2nd Champions League title; beat Rajasthan by 33 runs
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
New Delhi: Mumbai Indians won their second Champions League title as they beat Rajasthan Royals by 33 runs in the finals at Feroz Shah Stadium, Delhi on Sunday.
While chasing a massive total of 202 runs, Rajasthan Royals got off to a poor start as they lost their opener Kusal Perera in the very first over. But then in-form Ajinkya Rahane and Sanju Samson added 109 runs for the second wicket to take their team back in the game. Both the right-handers played some superb strokes and cleared boundaries every now and then keeping the required run-rate within reach.
Such was the second-wicket partnership that Rajasthan reached their 100 runs in just nine overs. But while these two looked all set to snatch the game away from Mumbai, Samson was out after playing a blistering knock of 60 runs in 33 balls with the help of four boundaries and equal number of sixes.
After the fall of Sanju’s wicket, Royals’ batting collapsed and apart from Stuart Binny (10), none other batsman reached the double figure mark. Rahul Dravid who was playing in his last International match only managed to score two runs. For Mumbai Indians, Harbhajan Singh was the most successful bowler as he scalped four wickets in his stipulated four-overs and gave just 32 runs.
Earlier Rahul Dravid won the toss and invited Mumbai Indians to bat first. Sachin Tendulkar, who came to open the innings along with Dwayne Smith scored 15 runs before giving his wicket to Shane Watson.
But the in-form opener Smith once again played a crucial knock up the order and scored 44 runs in mere 39 balls with the help of five boundaries and one six. Skipper Rohit Sharma and Ambati Rayudu played the cameos of 33 and 29 respectively.
Towards the end, Glenn Maxwell who replaced Mitchell Johnson for the final, played a blinder as he scored a 14-ball 37 that probably changed the complexion of the game as Rajasthan took a backseat after his late onslaught.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof