Chappell says `superstar` Johnson not faster than legendary `Thommo`
Sydney: Former Australian captain Ian Chappell has said that pace sensation Mitchell Johnson is not faster than the legendary Jeff Thomson even though Johnson left a trail of broken bones, cracked helmets and depressed batsmen in his recent run against South Africa.
Chappell believes that Johnson is not even intimidating as Thomson, whom he described as the most lethal bowler with an amazing ability to obtain steep lift from just short of a length as well as the fastest he had ever seen.
According to News.com.au, Chappell said that although there were no records in his time, he believes Thomson often hit the 160 km/h mark as compared to Johnson`s 150km/h, adding that Thomson was often thought to be a `nutter` out to kill opposing batsmen.
Describing Johnson as a `gentle guy masquerading as a marauder`, Chappell further said that Thomson never changed his pace and was a fast bowler through and through, while Johnson had to struggle on a highly sluggish surface at Port Elizabeth and was forced to resort to a slower delivery .
Chappell mentioned that Thomson relied heavily on his extraordinary pace and lift from the pitch while Johnson sprints to the crease, although he added that the pacer has a similar `rock back and fire` to Thomson as he delivers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing