Chappell says `superstar` Johnson not faster than legendary `Thommo`
Sydney: Former Australian captain Ian Chappell has said that pace sensation Mitchell Johnson is not faster than the legendary Jeff Thomson even though Johnson left a trail of broken bones, cracked helmets and depressed batsmen in his recent run against South Africa.
Chappell believes that Johnson is not even intimidating as Thomson, whom he described as the most lethal bowler with an amazing ability to obtain steep lift from just short of a length as well as the fastest he had ever seen.
According to News.com.au, Chappell said that although there were no records in his time, he believes Thomson often hit the 160 km/h mark as compared to Johnson`s 150km/h, adding that Thomson was often thought to be a `nutter` out to kill opposing batsmen.
Describing Johnson as a `gentle guy masquerading as a marauder`, Chappell further said that Thomson never changed his pace and was a fast bowler through and through, while Johnson had to struggle on a highly sluggish surface at Port Elizabeth and was forced to resort to a slower delivery .
Chappell mentioned that Thomson relied heavily on his extraordinary pace and lift from the pitch while Johnson sprints to the crease, although he added that the pacer has a similar `rock back and fire` to Thomson as he delivers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- HP's privacy screen secures notebooks from visual hacking
- PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, Dipa Karmakar, Jitu Rai receive Khel Ratna award
- Significance of why Lord Shiva wears tiger skin! Read more
- Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra rock 'Baar Baar Dekho' promotions—Watch video!
- Rajnath Singh to head all-party delegation to Kashmir on September 4