Chappell says `superstar` Johnson not faster than legendary `Thommo`
Sydney: Former Australian captain Ian Chappell has said that pace sensation Mitchell Johnson is not faster than the legendary Jeff Thomson even though Johnson left a trail of broken bones, cracked helmets and depressed batsmen in his recent run against South Africa.
Chappell believes that Johnson is not even intimidating as Thomson, whom he described as the most lethal bowler with an amazing ability to obtain steep lift from just short of a length as well as the fastest he had ever seen.
According to News.com.au, Chappell said that although there were no records in his time, he believes Thomson often hit the 160 km/h mark as compared to Johnson`s 150km/h, adding that Thomson was often thought to be a `nutter` out to kill opposing batsmen.
Describing Johnson as a `gentle guy masquerading as a marauder`, Chappell further said that Thomson never changed his pace and was a fast bowler through and through, while Johnson had to struggle on a highly sluggish surface at Port Elizabeth and was forced to resort to a slower delivery .
Chappell mentioned that Thomson relied heavily on his extraordinary pace and lift from the pitch while Johnson sprints to the crease, although he added that the pacer has a similar `rock back and fire` to Thomson as he delivers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan had achieved nuclear capability in 1984: Abdul Qadeer Khan
- Pakistan able to target Delhi from Kahuta near Rawalpindi in five minutes: Dr Abdul Qadeer Khan
- US zoo kills gorilla after 3-year-old boy falls into enclosure
- EC cancels polls for two remaining Tamil Nadu Assembly seats - Know why
- Cloudbursts, rainfall in Tehri district of Uttarakhand; Gangotri-Kedarnath road closed, pilgrims stranded