Chris Gayle guides Jamaica to inaugural CPL title
Port of Spain: Another exhibition of power hitting by captain Chris Gayle and the consistent Andre Russell guided Jamaica Tallawahs to a commanding seven-wicket win over the Guyana Amazon Warriors and the inaugural Caribbean Premier T20 League title.
The pair smashed an unbeaten 62 from 34 balls as the Tallawahs rattled up 129 for three in 17.3 overs in reply to the warriors` 128 for five off 20 overs Saturday night.
Gayle finished unbeaten on 47 off 48 balls with six boundaries, while the belligerent Russell stroked 33 off 18 balls including five fours and one six.
Earlier, Chadwick Walton hit a six and one boundary in nine balls before going leg before wicket to Tillakaratne Dilshan for 13 and Kumar Sangakkara lofted Christopher Barnwell for James Franklin to run in and take a catch low down when the Sri Lankan was on 13.
The only other Tallawah wicket to fall was that of Jermaine Blackwood for three. He was deceived by a slower delivery from Lasith Malinga whom he offered a tame return catch.
Sent in to bat, the Guyana Amazon Warriors were choked in the front end of their innings languishing on 46 for two after 10 overs. They lost William Perkins caught at mid off by Danza Hyatt from a David Bernard Jnr. delivery for 14 and the prize wicket of Dilshan who played on to a sharp in swinger from Bernard without scoring.
Lendl Simmons who started uncharacteristically slow top scored with 40 off 44 balls with three fours and two sixes before holding out to Sangakkara, trying to launch Nikita Miller over long off.
Simmons featured in a 50 run partnership with Denesh Ramdin who contributed 29 from 34 balls including two fours and one six.
The Amazon Warriors innings got a much needed boost as James Franklin and Christopher Barnwell realised 20 runs in the final over bowled by Gayle. Franklin was undefeated on 17.
Gayle (Jamaica Tallawahs) was named man of he match, Krishmar Santokie, (Guyana Amazon Warriors) man of the series and Sheldon Cotterell (Antigua Hawksbills) - future star.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday