Sydney: Australian captain Michael Clarke and his former deputy Shane Watson may have to appear in court in sacked coach Mickey Arthur`s dismissal case.
Arthur, who is seeking a four million-dollar payout or reinstatement after being axed from the side last month despite two years of his contract remaining, has been painted as a dirt-dishing, money-hungry figure prepared to play the race card to obtain massive compensation.
A report said that Arthur`s legal team could call players, especially Clarke and Watson, if required in any court action even though Australia will have to play England in another nine Ashes Tests and 10 one-dayers until February.
The report also said that leaked court documents have detailed how Arthur, represented by Harmers Workplace Lawyers, had felt that he was the `meat in the sandwich` in attempting to manage discord between Clarke and former deputy Watson, adding that the South African will be heading into a conciliation meeting.
However, the report said that if the conciliation failed to come to into any positive conclusion, then the case would head to the Federal Court where a number of Australian cricket stars could be compelled to give evidence, which would prove a significant distraction as Australia attempts to reunite and reclaim the Ashes.
Cricket Australia is also under pressure to prove that it had played no part in leaking confidential court documents lodged by Arthur`s legal team with the Fair Work Commission on July 12, although the report said that the Fair Work Commission had confirmed that all applications it had received remained confidential.
Meanwhile, former players including Shane Warne and Australian Cricketers` Association boss Paul Marsh have panned Arthur although public sentiment immediately turned against the former Proteas and Australia coach, the report added.