Cook's ton powers England to easy win over West Indies
Zeenews Sports Bureau
London: A formidable century by skipper Alastair Cook helped England defeat West Indies by 8 wickets at the Kennington Oval, London. Cook scored 112 runs as West Indies once again failed to put up any fight.
Cook won the toss and decided to bowl first. Chris Gayle hit some big blows before being dismissed off a controversial decision. He added 63 runs along with Lendl Simmons. Within no time, Windies lost the wickets of Dwayne Smith (0), Samuels (13) and Simmons (12 from 49).
After the initial losses, Dwayne Bravo (77 from 82) and Kieron Pollard (41 from 52) shared a 100-run partnership for the fifth wicket which stabilized the innings and West Indies posted a respectable total-238 runs.
Ian Bell who scored a brilliant ton in the previous match continued his good run as he shared a 122-run stand with Cook for the opening wicket. Bell was dismissed for 53 as he was deceived by a slower ball from Sammy. The West Indies skipper also scalped Cook, but not before England had crossed 200 runs.
With this win, England have also wrapped the series with one match to go.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi