Customs `detain` Rs 20-lakh silver trophy from ICC official
New Delhi: An ICC official was caught allegedly bringing into the country a silver trophy worth Rs 20 lakh without paying customs duty at IGI aiport here following which it was seized.
The ICC official, an Indian resident, was carrying the silver trophy in contravention of rules and was trying to bring it into the country without giving the customs duty payable on such metals, official sources said.
The official, who had come from Dubai, was intercepted yesterday at Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) and asked to show papers related to the clearance of trophy from customs. After he failed to provide satisfactory answer and show relevant papers, the trophy was "detained" by Customs, they said.
During questioning, the ICC official claimed the trophy was meant for promotional event.
The silver trophy, weighing about three kilograms, has a market value of about Rs 20 lakh.
Further investigation in the matter was continuing, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers