Danish Kaneria files appeal against ECB ban
Karachi: Pakistan leg-spinner Danish Kaneria has filed an appeal against the lifetime ban handed down to him by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) for his involvement in a spot-fixing scandal.
Kaneria`s lawyers have confirmed that the cricketer has also appealed against an order to pay 100,000 pounds in costs for the hearings, a charge that was not publicly outlined in the ECB judgment.
"The appeal not only covers the life ban but also against the 100,000 pounds cost that was imposed as a part of the expenditure of all he hearings. There was no understanding before or during the hearing that we will pay the expenditure of all the hearings that took place. The cost along with the ban is unfair. They don`t have any evidence against Kaneria and still the ECB passed an order against him," a daily quoted Kaneria`s Pakistan-based lawyer Farogh Naseem, as saying.
Kaneria was handed the life ban by an ECB disciplinary panel for his involvement in the spot-fixing case involving former Essex fast bowler Mervyn Westfield. He had been found guilty of inducing Westfield to under-perform and of bringing the game into disrepute.
Last month Kaneria`s legal team said they wanted an opening hearing for the appeal after describing the outcome of the tribunal as ``pre-determined``.
Kaneria`s lawyers contend that the leg-spinner was not given a fair hearing. They also indicated that a further legal appeal could be pursued in order to clear Kaneria`s name.
The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) have said they will uphold the ECB`s ban - as was agreed between all ICC member nations - and earlier this week the PCB`s integrity committee barred Kaneria from playing any official cricket in Pakistan pending the outcome of his appeal.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India