Delhi beat Services to qualify for Vijay Hazare knock-outs
Bilaspur: Title contenders Delhi comfortably made it to the knock-out stages of the Vijay Hazare Trophy by defeating Services courtesy VJD method in their final North Zone leg encounter at the Lohnu ground, here today.
The match was curtailed to 38-overs per side and Services scored 205 for seven in the stipulated overs with Yashpal Singh scoring 52 and Devendra Lochab made 44.
In reply, Delhi were 172 for three in 29.5 overs when rain stopped play and they were declared winners as per V Jaydevan rain rule which is applied for domestic matches.
According to VJD method, Delhi won by 35 runs and qualified as the runners-up from the North Zone with 17 points to Punjab`s 21.
For Delhi, the victory was achieved due to a 130-run second wicket partnership between opener Unmukt Chand, who made a patient 64 off 85 balls and glovesman Puneet Bisht who smashed a run-a-ball 78 after being promoted up the order.
While Unmukt`s innings contained eight boundaries, the cheeky Puneet hit six fours and two sixes.
By virtue of being one of the four semi-finalists of the last year`s edition, Delhi will be directly playing in the quarter-final of this year`s knock-out competition and are likely to face Mumbai in their last eight clash.
Brief Scores: Services 205/7 in 38 overs (Yashpal Singh 52, Devendra Lochab 44, Pradeep Sangwan 3/73)
Delhi 172/3 in 29.5 overs (Unmukt Chand 64, Puneet Bisht 85).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in