Dhoni named captain of ICC ODI team, Kohli, Gambhir in XI
Dubai: India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni has been named captain of ICC`s `ODI Team of the Year` which also includes Virat Kohli and Gautam Gambhir.
This is for the fifth consecutive year in a row that Dhoni has been selected in ICC`s `ODI Team of the Year`.
A specially appointed five-member selection panel headed by former West Indies captain Clive Lloyd selected a 12-member team that includes three Indians, two Australians Michael Clarke and Shane Watson, Pakistanis Shahid Afridi and Saeed Ajmal, Sri Lankans Kumar Sangakkara and Lasith Malinga, Englishmen Alastair Cook and Steven Finn. Morne Morkel is the only South African.
The ICC Chief Executive David Richardson announced the `Squad` at a special function ahead of the LG ICC Awards ceremony which is being held tomorrow night at the Waters Edge, Colombo. The LG ICC Awards recognise the best international players and officials of the past 12 months.
Apart from Lloyd, the other members of the panel were former Sri Lankan captain Marvan Atapattu, former West Indies skipper Carl Hooper, Australian all-rounder Tom Moody and former England women`s team captain Clare O`Connor.
ICC ODI Team of the Year (Batting Order)
Gautam Gambhir (Ind), Alastair Cook (Eng), Kumar Sangakkara (SL), Virat Kohli (Ind), MS Dhoni (Ind,wicketkeeper/captain), Michael Clarke (Aus), Shahid Afridi (Pak), Morne Morkel (SA), Steven Finn (Eng), Lasith Malinga (SL), Saeed Ajmal (Pak); 12th Man ? Shane Watson (Aus).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez