Dhyan Chand should get Bharat Ratna before Sachin: Azharuddin
Dharamsala: Former India captain Mohammad Azharuddin says Sachin Tendulkar deserves to be conferred with the Bharat Ratna, but wants hockey legend Major Dhyan Chand to be the first sportsperson to be bestowed with the country`s top civilian honour.
"Sachin should be conferred with Bharat Ratna honour. I have never say no to this but hockey legend Major Dhyan Chand should be the first sportsperson to be conferred the award," Azhar said here on Friday.
"Dhyan Chand played under British Raj and one should take into account the kind of atmosphere he played under. No proper hockey stick was there...no proper grounds were there.”
"If you look at his achievements under that particular period, he should be the first one to be conferred with the honour. He was a great player," he said on the sidelines of a an exhibition match between the Indian and British Parliamentarians.
The 38-year-old Tendulkar has to his name most of the batting records in Test and ODI cricket, including being the highest run-scorer and century maker in both formats.
Tendulkar scored his 100th international century against Bangladesh during the Asia Cup in March.
Asked about the retirement of Tendulkar, Azhar said, "He is serving the game for the last 22 to 23 years. Let him plan his own retirement...give him that freedom. If it`s his decision that he does not want to retire, we should respect that and move on."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA