Dhyan Chand should get Bharat Ratna before Sachin: Azharuddin
Dharamsala: Former India captain Mohammad Azharuddin says Sachin Tendulkar deserves to be conferred with the Bharat Ratna, but wants hockey legend Major Dhyan Chand to be the first sportsperson to be bestowed with the country`s top civilian honour.
"Sachin should be conferred with Bharat Ratna honour. I have never say no to this but hockey legend Major Dhyan Chand should be the first sportsperson to be conferred the award," Azhar said here on Friday.
"Dhyan Chand played under British Raj and one should take into account the kind of atmosphere he played under. No proper hockey stick was there...no proper grounds were there.”
"If you look at his achievements under that particular period, he should be the first one to be conferred with the honour. He was a great player," he said on the sidelines of a an exhibition match between the Indian and British Parliamentarians.
The 38-year-old Tendulkar has to his name most of the batting records in Test and ODI cricket, including being the highest run-scorer and century maker in both formats.
Tendulkar scored his 100th international century against Bangladesh during the Asia Cup in March.
Asked about the retirement of Tendulkar, Azhar said, "He is serving the game for the last 22 to 23 years. Let him plan his own retirement...give him that freedom. If it`s his decision that he does not want to retire, we should respect that and move on."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan