Former Bengal medium pacer dies
Kolkata: Former Bengal left-arm medium pacer Premangsu Chatterjee passed away here this morning, Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) said.
Chatterjee was 84 and is survived by his wife, one son and two daughters.
Recipient of the second Kartick Bose Lifetime Achievement Award from CAB in 2005, Chatterjee was a bowler of repute during the late 1940s and early 50s, and had recorded a 10-wicket haul against Assam in a first class match.
He represented Bengal in 26 matches between 1946-47 and 1959-60, and skippered the state in four matches with 134 wickets at a strike rate of 17.75.
Chatterjee had claimed eight for 59 to power Bengal to a 10-wicket win over Madhya Pradesh in the 1955-56 Ranji Trophy semi-final.
Bengal, however, finished runners-up that season losing to Mumbai in the summit clash in a match, in which Chatterjee took seven for 101.
He rose to fame in the following season when he took a perfect 10 (10/20) against Assam.
But he could never represent India as their was not enough backing from Bengal at that point of time, Chuni Goswami, a former Bengal skipper, told media persons.
Describing Chatterjee as an inspirational cricketer, Goswami said: "He was a great swinger of the ball and a wonderful cricketer. His records speak for himself. He would have been very successful if he was born in this era."
"It`s really sad that he could not play for India because of poor backing from the state administration. He was also very good at studies and held some important positions during his work period," Goswami said.
Bengal also lost another former cricketer, Arijit Das Gupta, who died Sunday at an age of 86.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow