Punjab get three points after match ends in draw
Bhubaneswar: The bowlers` impressive display on the first day followed by Uday Kaul`s century, proved to be decisive for Punjab as their efforts helped the side earn three points from their Group A Ranji Trophy match against Railways, here today.
The final day`s play turned out to be inconsequential as Punjab finished at 59 for two after Railways declared their second innings at 353 for five, with opener Amit Paunikar`s 166 being the highlight.
The batsman was unbeaten on 113 overnight. His knock was studded with 23 boundaries and a six, and came off 252 balls. While scripting his big century, Paunikar spent 348 minutes in the middle.
Skipper Sanjay Bagar chipped in with 62, which came off 83 balls, and included seven fours and two sixes at the East Coast Railway Sports Association.
Punjab would be glad that their bowlers hit the right rhythm in Railways` first innings. Once Sandeep Sharma and Siddarth Kaul bowled out the Railways for 205, it became quite easier for Punjab.
Kaul then, in the company of Amitoze Singh and Bipul Sharma, ensured that Punjab got a lead of more than 100 runs in the first innings. Raiwlays got a point from the tie.
The Railways batsmen performed much better in the second innings but that was not enough for them.
Railways: 205 & 353 for five in 102.2 overs (Amit Paunikar 166, Sanjay Bangar 62, Bipul Sharma 2/78).
Punjab: 314 and 59 for two in 28 overs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves