Ranji Trophy: Himachal seal a draw, Goa take three points
Porvorim: Himachal Pradesh`s Paras Dogra batted with resolve to score an unbeaten century even as Goa walked away with three points by virtue of taking the first-innings lead in their Ranji Trophy Group C match, here on Tuesday.
Dogra struck a defiant 205-ball 119 not out, his 13th first-class hundred and the season`s second, while Mukesh Sharma (51 not out) also showed a lot of determination as both steered their side to a draw on the final day at the District Institute of Education and Training Ground.
Himachal Pradesh are sixth on the table with 12 points, while Goa have moved up to seventh place with an equal number of points but they have played a game less than Himachal.
Himachal had scored 338 in their first innings to which the hosts replied by making 347, therby taking a vital lead of nine runs which proved crucial in deciding the outcome of the match.
In their second essay, Himachal Pradesh were off to a disastrous start as they lost their openers, skipper Aakash Chopra (0) and Nikhil Gangta (5) with just 13 runs on the board.
Varun Sharma (18) and Amit Kumar (29) too did not last long as the visitors were left reeling at 105 for four.
Next man-in, Mukesh, then combined well with Dogra and denied the hosts any further success.
While Dogra struck 12 fours and three sixes in his 205-ball stay at the crease, Mukesh found the fence six times.
For Goa, Harshad Gadekar was the pick of the bowlers with two for 48 while Saurabh Bandekar and Shadab Jakati scalped a wicket each.
Brief Scores: Himachal Pradesh 338 and 237 for 4 in 71.4 overs (Paras Dogra 119 not out, Mukesh Sharma 51 not out; Harshad Gadekar 2/48).
Goa 1st innings: 347 all out in 143.3 overs (Reagan Pinto 85, Swapnil Asnodkar 81; Rahul Singh 5/71).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam