Ranji Trophy: Punjab take upper hand against Odisha
Mohali: Riding on a fine batting display, Punjab posted a massive 560 for six declared before reducing Odisha to 110 for two in their second innings at the end of the third day`s play in their Group A Ranji Trophy match here today.
After bundling out Odisha for 205 in their first innings, Punjab managed to take a 355-run lead.
The visitors now need 245 more run with eight wickets remaining to avoid innings defeat.
At stumps on day three, Niranjan Behera was batting on 42 and Govind Podder was unbeaten on 52.
Resuming at 306 for two, both the overnight centurions -- Taruwar Kohli and Mandeep Singh -- gave a great start to the hosts by adding 35 and 59 runs respectively to their individual score.
The two put on a 282-run stand for the third wicket before Alok Mangaraj gave the much-needed breakthrough to Odisha by seeing off Mandeep for a 229-ball 175, laced with 18 fours and two sixes.
Kohli made a patient 319-ball 144 with 20 hits to the fence and a six.
Even the tailenders chipped in with important runs with Mayank Sidhana (48), Amitoze Singh (56 not out) and Harbhajan Singh (49 not out) taking Punjab`s score past 550-run mark.
There were also partnerships worth 64 runs for the sixth wicket between Sidhana and Amitoze and then another fruitful unbeaten 77-run stand for the seventh wicket between Amitoze and Harbhajan.
In their second innings also, Odisha did not have an ideal start as they lost both the openers Girjia Rout (5) and Natraj Behera (8) cheaply.
But Niranjan Behera and Podder consolidated the innings and ensure that there was no further setback for the visitors.
Odisha: 205 & 110 for 2 (Niranjan Behera batting 42, Govind Podder batting 52).
Punjab: 560 for six decl (Mandeep Singh 175, Taruwar Kohli 144, Amitoze Singh not out 56).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow