Ranji Trophy: Sightscreen damaged as third day`s play called off due to rain
New Delhi: The third day`s play of the Ranji Trophy semi-final between Mumbai and Services was called off without a ball being bowled due to heavy downpour, which incidentally also damaged one of the two sightscreens.
After last night`s hailstorm, there was steady downpour till afternoon today that virtually made it impossible for the proceedings to start.
One of the two sightscreens got badly torn and damaged because of heavy rains.
The Mumbai team including Sachin Tendulkar was present at the ground and waited patiently for inspection by the match officials.
Finally umpires Adrian Holdstock and Subrat Das made a customary inspection in the afternoon and decided to call off the day`s play as it would not have been possible for the groundsmen to make it fit even if the rain stopped.
Mumbai were 380 for six at stumps on the second day having recovered from the poor show by top-order due to 211-run seventh wicket stand between centurions Aditya Tare and Ajit Agarkar.
Agarkar was unbeaten on 113, while Tare was on 108.
The BCCI has a provision that if one innings of each team is not completed within the stipulated five days, a sixth day`s play would be accommodated. However if the sixth day`s play is also not possible, then the winner of the semi-final will be decided by spin of coin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened